Essential Crystals for Cleansing & Moon Magic
If you were going to own one crystal to work with the moon, I recommend it be selenite. Selenite cleanses energy and can cleanse any other crystals you own at the same time, making it a wise investment for your crystal collection. Selenite is associated with the moon goddess, Selene. Selenite provides heightened psychic abilities, powerful cleansing of the aura, insight/mental clarity. You can purchase selenite for just a few dollars online.
Black Tourmaline is a natural pair with selenite. If you were to invest in only two crystals for all your ritual or protection clearing work, it should be these two. These are my go-to crystals for protection and cleansing. I keep these two by my computer, and at each of the four corners of my house to create a protective and cleansing energy grid. Black tourmaline is a protective stone, which repels and blocks negative energies or psychic attack. It cleanses, purifies, and transforms dense energy into a lighter vibration.
Moonstone also carries powerful moon energy, good fortune, and abundance. Clear quartz enhances psychic abilities, aids concentration, and unlocks memory. Clear quartz is said to also stimulate the immune system and bring all energies of the body into alignment. It represents the crown chakra which is the top of the head. Labradorite enhances intuition, balances and protects the aura, and raises consciousness. Goldstone is also excellent for dreamwork, creating, and manifesting abundance.
When picking out a crystal, trust your gut. Go with whatever feels right. Start with just one to see how that feels in a meditation or prayer session. Crystals are an easy tool for ritual work and something to put on the alter if you have one. One of the best times to cleanse and charge your crystals is on the new and full moon. Both moonlight and sun cleanse and charge crystals.
Modern New Moon Ritual
Moon rituals are an ancient, sacred practice that sets an intention for the month and manifests magic with the universe. The moon influences the growth or decline of planets, animals, and humans. A modern new moon ritual allows an invitation to be centered within yourself. It is an opportunity for quiet meditation. Any new moon ritual work can be viewed as a sacred act of self-care.
The new moon is a time to breathe new life into any area of your life where you feel stagnation. It marks the beginning of a new lunar cycle. This is an excellent time to create new habits, correcting your path in some way, or setting new goals. The following are just suggestions for a basic new moon ritual. Please let your intuition guide you on how to best conduct your own ritual work, get creative, and trust whatever you feel is right.
- Set your ritual space up. Create an alter or just use a corner, light a candle, or use incense like sage/Palo Santo for cleansing if you want. Just lighting a candle is extremely significant as this represents bringing light in on the darkest night of the month.
- Conjure your connection to the divine. This is a call to God/Goddess/Spirit/Earth or whatever source energy that you feel connected with. Because the four elements are deeply connected with astrology and are also represented by the four directions, I like to notice each direction at this time. Some people like to write down what they want to begin or focus their intention on for the month. This can help to set the intention and promotes the processing of the goal.
- Now take time to focus on attention and intention on what you want to develop on this new moon. Consciously embracing the moons fresh energy can allow you to propel those intentions even further. This is the most fertile day of the lunar cycle, thus the best time to begin anything new. Allow what is no longer useful for you to fall away.
Option: To light two candles, one represents yourself as you are at the movement and the other as the aspiration of what you intend to create, leave space between them. Each day take a moment to focus on yourself as you light the 1st candle and then the 2nd, focusing on drawing to you what you wish to create, bringing the candles closer together each day until they are together at the full moon. When you do this each day until the full moon, you can acknowledge the result of what you created during the new moon.
Option: Take a ritual bath in the tub or in the moonlight Add some sea or Epson salt to your warm bathwater. Water symbolically washes away the old. Bath salts often help detox the body. Light a candle, dim the lights, burn some sage if you wish. Add gentle music and step into the quiet world of the new moon. If you don’t have time for a soak simply take a few minutes to go outside and observe the night sky.
Remember there are no rules in your ritual so don’t feel pressed to make it look a certain way. Your ritual has your style and essence. Do what feels most natural to you.
Full Moon Ritual
Conducting any full moon ritual is a way to connect yourself with your inner being and mother nature. It is a sacred act of self-care. The full moon is a time for releasing and purging the things in life that no longer serve us. The ancients believed the moon symbolically represented emotions, intuition, and the cycle of life and death. No matter where you live on the planet the moon is a subtle yet omnipresent force in your life. The full moon is a peak of energy that highlights opposing polarities or forces in your life. It is a time of harvests, a time to reap what you have sown since the new moon.
- Set your ritual space up with any crystal you want to include. Create an alter or just use a corner, light a candle, or use incense like sage/Palo Santo for cleansing if you want.
- Conjure your connection to the divine. This is a call to God/Goddess/Spirit/Earth or whatever source energy that you feel connected with. Because the four elements are deeply connected with astrology and are also represented by the four directions, I like to notice each direction at this time.
- Now take time to focus on any intention that you would like amplified or illuminated within you for the full moon. Are you struggling with anything at the moment? This is a time to just release anything that is no longer needed. Set your intention and write down what it is that you wish to energetically renew, release, or celebrate. You can leave your writing folded in your sacred space for the night if you wish. Sometimes I take a mason jar of water and place it in the direct line of the moonlight overnight and then bring it back inside my ritual space honoring whatever intention I had for a few days.
Option: Take a ritual bath. Add some sea or Epson salt to your warm bathwater. Water symbolically washes away the old. Bath salts often help detox the body. Light a candle, dim the lights, burn some sage if you wish. Add gentle music to step into the quiet world of the new moon. If you don’t have time for a soak simply take a few minutes to go outside and observe the full moon.
Remember there are no rules in your ritual so don’t feel pressed to make it look a certain way. Your ritual has your style and essence. Do what feel most natural to you.